“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.”
~Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953
AN URGENT MESSAGE TO PRESIDENT OBAMA
Dear Mr. President,
We stand here today, on the eve of the 7th year of war in Iraq, with heavy hearts. As a nation, we are staggering under the human and economic costs of this illegal invasion. We applaud your initiative to start drawing down our troops in Iraq, but we are deeply concerned about your decision to increase U.S. military actions in Afghanistan.
Before we lose one more life “American, Afghani or Iraqi” or destroy the homes, livelihoods, and futures of innocent civilians, we implore you to use diplomacy and negotiation to bring peace and security in Afghanistan, withdraw all troops from Iraq, and set a model for the rest of the world.
PLEASE SEND THIS MESSAGE
OR ONE OF YOUR OWN
TO PRESIDENT OBAMA.
White House comment line: 202-456-1111
Email via http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/
White House FAX: 202-456-2461
- Suspend air strikes on Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Withdraw US & NATO military forces and bring in UN peacekeepers for short-term security.
- Support negotiations between all parties and include Afghan women leaders.
- Reform humanitarian aid and reconstruction funding.
- Invest in long-term aid that increases self-reliance and fund locally run projects.
- End the use of costly Provincial Reconstruction Teams that have militarized the aid process.
- Compensate Afghan families and communities affected by US military actions.
- Sign the treaty to ban cluster bombs, pay for cluster bomb and landmine clean up, and ban use of these weapons.
The Granny Peace Brigade