What can we do to promote peace?
Discover the power in solidarity, look around, join a social action group or form a new one. Call our representatives in Congress and let them know we are against United States military participation in the wars around the globe. Hit the streets…
SAVE THE DATE
• Thursday, March 19, PARENT-TEACHER CONFERENCE NIGHT has been cancelled. If you volunteered to leaflet at an NYC high school on Thursday, March 19, 5:00-6:30PM please contact us.
JROTC (Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp) has been in NYC schools for a long time. There has been a JROTC program in New York City schools since at least 1994 when what was to become one of the largest JROTC programs in the country opened at Francis Lewis High School in Queens. It didn’t take long before it was a hugely popular program. Even though many aspects of the program are popular with children and their parents, members of GPB and other groups vehemently oppose the military in our schools in any of its many guises–whether it be a JROTC program or recruiters roaming the halls or being on the corner when children leave for the day.
We want our children to be students, not soldiers. Read more.
And we are supporting…
- CAIC: The goal of the Campaign for Alternatives to Isolated Confinement is sweeping reform of New York’s use of solitary confinement and other forms of extreme isolation in state prisons and local jails. Vigil TOGETHER TO END SOLITARY ACTION. Contact us for more details.
- 350NYC is the the local affiliate of 350.org, a grassroots network of volunteer-run campaigns in over 188 countries working to prevent climate chaos. Here in New York, 350NYC is working locally for a cleaner, greener, better New York City for everyone. 350NYC on Facebook
Drones & extrajudicial killing:
The Granny Peace Brigade, Know Drones, World Can’t Wait, CodePink NYC and other organizations call for a worldwide ban of weaponized and surveillance drones.
We are witnessing attacks by U.S. drones (pilotless aircraft controlled from remote locations) killing, maiming and terrorizing individuals and whole populations. These drones must be banned!
What You Can Do:
- WRITE TO UN LEADERS Secretary-General António Guterres
New York, NY 10017
Email: email@example.comU.S. Ambassador to the U.N.
U.S. Mission to the United Nations
799 UN Plaza
New York, NY 10017-3505
Comment line: 212-414-4062
- CALL CONGRESS
Tell them you want the U.S. Government to STOP USING WEAPONIZED AND SURVEILLANCE DRONES.
- JOIN OTHERS – GET INTO THE STREET
Join a peace group near you. If you sign up for the Granny Peace Brigade neighbors list we’ll send you notices of great street events in NYC.
Please let us know about what you are doing.
And join us in the streets.
We welcome people of all ages.