Local and State Drone Resolutions
Draft Drone Resolutions:
- Keep NYC Free of Weaponized and Surveillance Drones — Resolution to City Council
- Bill of Rights Defense Committee: Model Drone Legislation – No Drones
Enacted Drone Resolutions and Ordinance:
- Charlottesville, VA, Enacted February 4, 2013
- City of St. Bonifacius, MN, Ordinance NO 115, March 28, 2013
- City of Evanston, IL, Enacted May 28, 2013
- City of Northampton, MA, Resolution on Drone Aircraft, Amended July 11, 2013
- City of Syracuse, NY, Enacted December 16, 2013
- Leverett, MA, Dones Resolution, Enacted May 3, 2014
• Parent -Teacher Conference Night, March 2014
• Fact: Iran does not possess a nuclear weapon.
• Fact: Iran has the right, according to international law, to develop nuclear energy for civilian use.
• Fact: Iran’s nuclear energy program is regularly monitored by the International Atomic Energy Agency.
• Fact: Iran has not started a war.
• Fact: The United States possesses 10,600 nuclear warheads in its stockpile, 7,982 of which are deployed and 2,700 of which are in a contingency stockpile. The total number of nuclear warheads that have been built from 1951 to present is 67,500.
• Fact: The United States is the only country to have ever used nuclear weapons. It did so when it incinerated hundreds of thousands of Japanese people living in the cities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Neither city had any military significance.
• Fact: The United State has spent $7 trillion on nuclear weapons. The U.S. military budget for 2012 alone is about equal to Iran’s entire Gross National Product
HaftSeen table – Times Square
Will We Control Them Or Will They Control Us?
The Granny Peace Brigade, Know Drones, World Can’t Wait, CodePink NYC and other organizations in the No Drones Coalition call for a worldwide ban of weaponized and surveillance drones.
We are witnessing attacks by U.S. drones (pilotless aircraft controlled from remote locations) killing, maiming and terrorizing individuals and whole populations. These drones must be banned! (Read more here.)
What You Can Do:
WRITE TO UN LEADERS Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon
New York, NY 10017
U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Samantha Power
U.S. Mission to the United Nations
799 UN Plaza
New York, NY 10017-3505
Comment line: 212-414-4062
CALL CONGRESS Tell them you want the U.S. Government to STOP USING WEAPONIZED AND SURVEILLANCE DRONES.
JOIN OTHERS – GET INTO THE STREETJoin a peace group near you. If you sign up for the Granny Peace Brigade neighbors list we’ll send you notices of great street events in NYC.
Local Drone Control:
Let’s persuade the New York City Council to pass a resolution banning the use of both weaponized and surveillance drones in NYC. To start the process the GPB made phone calls to every New York City Council Member’s office asking him/her to introduce a Keep NYC Free of Weaponized and Surveillance Drones Resolution. Most often we spoke with the legislative director. Next we sent email copies of this resolution to all New York City Council Representatives and to a staff member. We’ve been demonstrating outside their office building, 250 Broadway with leaflets and signs.
What can you do? Email us to get involved.
Prevent Truth Decay!
Bawl out your local media outlets when they distort the truth.
INVEST IN DEMOCRACY
Here’s what you can do:
Get Informed: Can you see the impact of war in your neighborhood? What services have been compromised? In Education? Security? Housing? Health Care?
Get Vocal: Talk to your neighbors. Then talk to all those folks so eager to grab your vote come November. Where do they stand? Remember what Tip O’Neill said, “All politics is local.”
Get Busy: Discover the power in solidarity, so look around, find a social action group, join up and get involved.
Please let us know about what you are doing.
And join us in the streets.
We welcome all ages, women and men.
In peace always.