We in the Granny Peace Brigade do not think military recruiters should be inside New York City high schools, but unfortunately they are — in Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) programs at eighteen NYC high schools. Eighteen? Yes there are eighteen JROTC programs in NYC — eighteen too many.
JROTC is a Federal program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces in high schools across the United States and United States military bases across the world.
One goal of the JROTC program is to recruit high school students. And you don’t have to believe us on that. The goal is stated clearly on page three of Policy Memorandum 50 – U.S. Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) Partnership Initiatives:
JROTC SAI and AI will:.
a. Actively assist cadets who want to enlist in the military. Emphasize service in the U.S. Army (all components).
b. Facilitate recruiter access to cadets in JROTC program and to the entire student body.
c. Encourage college bound cadets to enroll in SROTC.
d. Work closely with high school guidance counselors to sell the Army story. Encourage them to display RPIs and advertising material and make sure they know how to obtain information on Army opportunities, including SROTC scholarships.
The intent of these partnership initiatives is to promote a synergistic effort of all Army assets, maximize recruiting efforts, exchange quality referrals, and educate all on both recruiting and ROTC programs and benefits.
The eighteen schools with JROTC programs are:
- Hs Of Graphic Communication ArtsGraphics Educational Campus 430 W. 49th St (M625)
- Hs For Health Careers And Science – 459 Audubon Ave (M468)
- De Witt Clinton Educationa Campus 100 West Mosholu Parkway South (X440)
- Harry S. Truman Hs – Educational Campus 750 Baychester Ave (X455
- Bronx High School For Law And Community Service Theodore Rosevelt Campus – 500 East Fordham Road (X439)
- Morris Academy For Collaborative Studies Morris Educational Campus – 1100 Boston Road (X297)
- Francis Lewis Hs – 58-20 Utopia Parkway (Q430)
- Long Island City Hs – 14030 Broadway (Q450)
- John Bowne Hs – 63-25 Main St. (Q425)
- Aviation Career And Technical Hs – 45-30 36th St. (Q610)
- Franklin K. Lane Hs – 999 Jamaica Avenue (K420)
- Performing Arts And Technology Hs 400 Pennsylvania Ave (K502)
- Fort Hamilton Hs – 8301 Shore Road (K490)
- Port Richmond Hs – 35 St. Josephs Ave (R445)
- Curtis Hs – 105 Hamilton Ave (R450)
- The Michael J. Petrides School – 715 Ocean Terrace (R080)
- Susan E. Wagner Hs – 1200 Manor Road (R460)
- Tottenville Hs -100 Luten Ave (R455)
We’ve got work to do. Please join us in our campaign against militarization and recruitment in New York City High Schools.
– Eva-Lee Baird
for the Granny Peace Brigade